The ISTE standards for students

I'm reading through Matt Bower's Design of technology-enhanced learning, and enjoying it as a refresher. It didn't take long to find a useful link, to the ISTE standards for students. I really, really like the potential of linking TEL practice with student digital literacy, and I think the ISTE standards (with their indicators) are an excellent reference for TEL designers. Weaving these standards into course design leads quite naturally into effective learning design, while contributing to digital literacy.

ISTE aims to serve K12 teachers however its work looks directly relevant to all levels of TEL.

In some of my own previous work I've talked about the merits of online education, compared with print-based course design. Now, I'm not suggesting that the ISTE list is, prima facie, suggesting online learning as a replacement for print-based material. It is interesting, though, to consider the merits of an online-based approach with the ISTE standards in mind. Not only do they embed good learning design practice, they also require student activities that are not easy to apply if a course is designed for print.

I'm certain Matt will inspire more posts to come...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A further update to "Reading and studying from the screen"

On AI in Ed

Into cognitive theory: Making it stick, How we learn, and more smudging